Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hey it's Jake,

Africa is nothing like any place I've ever been. The culture is so very different from what im use to. So far the language barrier for me has been hard. I speak no french and my years of studying spanish dont help at all over here. I am a firm believer that actions speak louder than words. Even though I can't talk to the Gabaniese effectively by simply working side by side with the villagers I feel I am having an impact. Our first day we dug a waterline for the church and the pastor's family. All went well and with the help of many others it was completed in a full day. The next morning I began to feel sick and decided to try and work through the pains in our morning work day. At lunch I didn't eat and began to throw up pretty regularly. I found myself in Africa, with intense stomach pains and dehydration. Regardless, through out my life I have found that when I am weak God reminds me that he is strong. It's a powerful reminder that the Lord is always by our side. I couldn't hold any food for 36 hours but am now finally starting to eat bread and am feeling stronger. Now I am thankful for good health more than ever. So far so good and I am looking forward to visiting the Hope House (orphanage) later today...

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear all is well, you could lose a few pounds anyways. bon apetit!

    ReplyDelete